Monday, September 22, 2008

Don't Panic

I have started this site as a place we can help each other through the rough times we are *all* facing right now. A place to share tips on conserving gas, energy- electric, physical, and mental- as well as just listening and letting others know that we are all in this together..and together we can get through it.

Today I started something...Im kind of hesitant about saying it, but maybe it will ber inspirational. I started writing "Don't Panic" on little Post It notes and sticking them in places where many people would see them. I placed 3 at the grocery store today, and one at the gas station.Why? Because Im hoping that by easing others panic that my own will be eased too. I want to let people know everything will be okay.Even if at times I don't believe it myself.

Yes, those who know me know that I *do* panic. A lot. But, lately, Ive been trying to diffuse that panic with the best weapons. Knowledge and rational thoughts.

The other day I was panicking about gas stations being out of gas. I rationally realized that I had money, that many stations had regular gas still, which is what I use, so I was okay.

I also have started driving slower again, much to the dismay of people on 400 this weekend, but oh well.

I have put myself on a media blackout..which was going good till tonight when I drove by the gas storage tanks near my home and saw the news stations there. But, again, I am only going to watch to see if they have answers. The second I hear fear being thrown at me...I will shut off the TV.Already did it once tonight when one station was reporting about the lines for gas.

As my roomie and I were discussing, this is only a temporary hiccup in the distribution. It will get better. And, things were MUCH MUCH worse in the 70's from what Ive read. So, please...don't panic.

It solves nothing, and makes us do stoopid things we will regret later.

No comments: